Friday 25 May 2007

Bring 'em on

With my search officially launched (impending birthday) for a new set of irons, I took myself down to the local range last week where the sales staff gave me six to try out which I quickly whittled down to two. I was surprised to find that these included the Ping G5 L which initially felt odd and I thought looked clumsy. But there was no getting away from the fact that the balls I was hitting with these were going at least 5 yards further. (Distance may not be everything, but in my book it counts for a lot). Otherwise my favourites would have been the Callaway X20s. Balance? Feel? I don’t know, but as soon as I picked up the 7 iron it somehow just felt right.
Needless to say neither of these are budget clubs, in fact top of the range would be closer to the mark. I’m not sure I’m worth that much even on my birthday and am envying my golfing buddy who recently bought some MacGregors with a very similar feel to the X20s but as far as I can see are no longer on the market.
As for those long-hitting G5s? As I was driving home and reflecting on my experience (as all we educators like to do) it struck me that not all of the clubs I’d tried out had been 7s. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Ping was a 6. Maybe I should go back and check!

No comments:


Blog Archive