Wednesday 20 June 2007

Taking a Lesson (but not just any lesson)

On Golf Monthly forum there’s an on-going discussion about improving your game and most people come down on the side of taking lessons and getting in plenty of practice. That’s it then: – learn – practice – succeed?
Well, without even mentioning the mental game, I can tell you it’s not that simple. As regards lessons, we all have different ways of learning, and , particularly if you’re a high handicapper (and/or a golf chick) it can be hard to find a teacher who ‘does it for you’, and believe me, if there isn’t a sense of partnership, of both of you working towards a particular goal and finding out how to get there, that lesson will do no good at all. In my time I’ve had a lessons where the teacher clearly thought a woman of a certain age who could hit the ball a hundred yards or so in a straight line should be happy to leave it at that. (I don’t think so, some of us are serious about this!)
At the other extreme, another pro started out by comparing my 30 handicap swing on video to that of Ernie Els. Leaving aside the matter of whose bum was biggest, let’s just say that wasn’t a pretty sight, and I felt defeated before we’d even begun to put my swing right.
So, yes, get yourself lessons, especially if you’re just starting or coming back into the game, but choose wisely and choose well. Take a taster lesson, and if things don’t feel good, don’t be afraid to duck out.
Photo from pocketwiley on flickr


2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're quite right about the value of lessons - and the importance of building a good relationship with your Pro (ahem). I've found that playing lessons work best for me - it's often relatively easy to tweak the stance, take-away, etc, on the range with the Pro watching, but to actually play a few holes with the Pro advising on the varying circumstances is really very useful indeed.

AliB said...

Good point, Jenni - not something I've ever done, but probably worth thinking about.


Blog Archive