Friday 26 October 2007

The Dredge connection

Played two rounds last weekend at Bryn Meadows near Caerphilly. Great weather and a nice course, though wet rough was pretty punishing. It turns out that BM is the 'home' course of Bradley Dredge, as evidenced by a kind of scroll in the bar with a list of his achievements. On the other side of the bar was a framed newspaper cutting explaining how the course had been developed from a pig farm - maybe not as big a selling point as the Dredge connection!

Here's another Dredge connection. The Welsh pro writes an occasional blog for Golf Monthly who have invited me to write one of their 'Clubhouse Chat' pages on my experiences as a woman playing golf. I think it's great they have asked, since like all the mainstream golf magazines it seems to be aimed at a male readership. I looked back through six months of back issues and didn't find a letter from anyone identifiably female (unless I am doing 'Jackie' in July a disservice!) Not sure if that means there are no women reading, or if those that do simply aren't moved to write in, maybe dissuaded by the general lack of any page featuring women or women's golf! Anyway, if I can come up with the goods, maybe that's all set to change, so three cheers for the editor. I'll let you know when I get into print!

No comments:


Blog Archive